Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Blast From the past...


Ahem... cough cough.
Tonight I went for a run. I figured Mount Tabor would be a nice cold terrain on a hot evening like this. I'm a person who gets a mean red face when I run in warm weather. By "mean" I'm talking about "whooo eeee...look at her! Are you ok?" When I say "Red," I'm referring to the color of a clown's wig (not to be confused with rosy, or blushing).

On the road up to the top, I noticed a group of teenagers smoking (gasp) in the bushes. I smugly thought to myself "that doesn't smell like cigarettes... Who do they think they're fooling. Certainly not me." I know I know, I sounded like a bad stereotype of bitter recess duty teacher, catching kids smoking on the playground. (Oh and by the way, I have never heard of that happening. Thus using my imagination to presume what would happen).

As I neared the top of Tabor, I could hear the sound of guitars, ukuleles, and laughter (not to mention a plethora of bongos). If you are familiar with MT. Tabor you know, when you get near the top, you can't see it. Then all of a sudden bam, you're on top of Portland (it's rather spectacular). So tonight, when I'm running to the tip top, and all of a sudden I'm about to summit (getting ready for my "PORTLAND")...HIPPIES!

I remembered an interaction I had earlier in the day. I had to sign for a package at work. When I couldn't think of the date the FEDx worker told me "huh huh, 4/20." Then it hit me, on the top of tabor, this was not a Phish themed barbecue. Oh no, these people are celebrating the date, the act, the tradition(?) of 4/20. These People were celebrating weed, pot, marijuana (what ever you kids call it these days). If you go to Mt tabor tonight, be prepared that the bong water is flowing more than the water.

As I made my first loop around the top, I heard so many variations of the word "Dude.": "Dude," "doooode," "DUDE?" "Hey dude!" "Dude, he's actually doing it!" (in reference to a dude long boarding down the hill, with his dog, and a joint).

When I arrived I felt the only thing I had in common, was my face matching the red on their tie-dye shirts. The second loop had me craving brownies, hot dogs, ice cream, and hummus(?) Thinking to myself; "some dude, should really paper mache an unusually large joint. They could place it right in the pointing fingers of Harvey Scott (the statue that points to the west on the top of the Mountian). Duuuude. Dooode." For some reason on the way home, I had to fight the urge to flip peace signs to everyone I passed. Dude!

No comments:

Post a Comment