Thursday, March 11, 2010

Little Green Dress

The dress, ah the dress that started it all. It's very sweet this dress, capped sleeves, light green silk with painted flowers in different shades of green, shortish, darling. It's banana republic but it looks vintage (a blast from the past if you will). So this sweet green dress, had been laying over the chair in our living room, waiting as I contemplated it's arrival at work. So I'm tallish, and this above the knee number when paired with my yellow belt was above above the knee. Everyday I'd contemplate is Vancouver, WA ready for this? Don't worry folks, today the dress got to make its debut.

You see, last night I curled up for a cat nap on the couch (by that I mean a short nap, not a nap surrounded by cats, milk or mice or anything like that). So anyways, my nap went a bit longer than planned (dog nap?) next thing I know I've been curled up on our couch for 3 hours. For those of you who are not familiar with our couch, it's the shape of a lima bean. Nice to look at, nice to sit on, bad to nap on. This morning I woke up with a bad case of the lima bean couch neck. I didn't realize it until I had my head in the sweet green dress.

Yep, right as I was jarring my right arm through the arm hole (oh yeah I forgot to mention I slept in late, sometimes running late in the morning results in fast dressing action), bad lima bean shaped coach neck kicked in. OUCH! Have you ever slept on your neck weird, and when you wake up you can only turn your head one way? There I was half way into the dress, the left side of my body was in pain every time I moved, I decided there was only one thing to do, carefully put my left arm through the arm hole. My plan had been to try the dress on, not wear it to work.


Today I learned the green dress lesson. Even though I wore boots, and tights, the dress was too short (not to be confused with the rapper) too cool, for Vancouver, WA. At the Arc "stay warm and dry out there... in your (awkward pause) dress." At lunch, the sound of crying babies, and grandmothers covering eyes when I walked into a room. At Walgreens "I (gulp) like your dress." Ok so maybe a stretch on the lunch part, however I have one thing to say to the city of Vancouver, WA:


Dear Vancouver,
I'm sorry you weren't ready for my green dress. It was an unexpected wardrobe decision, but you know what, sometimes you have to go with the flow of things. I just thought I would let you know, depending on the recovery of my neck, be prepared to see me in this dress for another couple days. Could be weeks, who knows. Hope you can learn to embrace it, yellow belt and all.


Sincerely.
Emily


p.s I never sass you on your work clothes, did you ever think about that?

1 comment: